Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: duplex within bass horn-A6 of 1945

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by valhallax:
    anyone know how prevelant a top wing is in the sound?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wings act as crude end corrections that damp reflections back to the throat and also lower the baffle step, not to mention stiffen the mouth.

    GM

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    folks with 110's, and w-bins and 19's..all the duplex's out there. i can see my collection is lacking...lol. seriously, if it werent for collectors and enthusists, all this stuff would be lost to history and landfills. and folks today with their tiny ipod speakers have no idea what music reproduction should sound like. and all this time i was calling my 828's a-5's.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Audio_by_Goodwill:

    .......I'm not sure if the stand on my cabinet was factory.........
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Each stand would have been built custom for the app since the duplex would need to be at ~2/3 screen height so the speech would appear to come from the actor's face. Notice the A5 has a shorter stand since the HF horn would be at the ~2/3 point.

    GM

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    108"H x 49.5"W x 35.5"D on the chart, says including vertical wing(s).

    Is the bottom all box, or a half box on a winged stand?

    Intimidating honkers, I'm sure.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The lower portion is just a stand. My previous description reflects just the cabinet. On the stand, they take huge to a new level.... Although, I must admit, I'm not sure if the stand on my cabinet was factory, as the catalog drawing looks shorter than I remember mine being.

    What chart are you looking at Bfish? The chart from the 1945 catalog says 73.5" wide with the wings. The 49.5" number has to be without the wings.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Same chart, I was lookin' at the A6.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 02, 2008 12:46 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  6. #16
    Hostboard Member cholt's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I had to move around some simplex w cabinets to get to it, but the dimensions of my single H110 (A5 or A6) without the wings or stand is 49 1/2" tall x 52" wide x 35 1/2" deep. I have it loaded with a 515b and switch around the HF horn/driver combos when I listen to it. I currently like the altec 803 tar-filled multicell with a 290 and an altec 802 for some HF extension when I listen to this system (electronic x over). Now, all I need is one more of those H 110s...Hope I didn't hijack the thread, apologies if I did, cdh

  7. #17
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds nice. Your dimensions suggest an A5. Do you XO at 300?

    Might take a lot of patience for another to appear. If you should ever decide to clone it, it would be really cool to have that one documented for all. forums

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    No, appreciate the dims. What is the i.d. horn height? 32"? Vent size? Anyway, you can always clone your own.

    GM

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by cholt:
    [QB]Well, I had to move around some simplex w cabinets to get to it, but the dimensions of my single H110 (A5 or A6) without the wings or stand is 49 1/2" tall x 52" wide x 35 1/2" deep.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm, that's odd. I was pretty sure the A5 and A6 used the same cabinet, but your 52" wide measurement is greater than the 49.5" width that Altec listed in the 1945 catalog for the A6, and you did say without wings, so both you and Altec should have just been measuring cabinet width. Now, I need to go measure my cabinet!

    I have it loaded with a 515b.....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That must be nice. Mine is in a garage with no power :-(

    Now, all I need is one more of those H 110s...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd sell mine to you, to make a pair, but judging by your email address, your way out west, and these things don't really ship easy/cheap.

  10. #20
    Hostboard Member cholt's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM, you are correct, the H of the a5/a6 cabinet is 52" and the width 49 1/2", the depth is 35 1/2". Mixed the two up (h/w) on the way to the office, sorry about that, but I am still hoping to find one more H110 (since I lack the wood working skills of many on this forum) so I can use them for more than mono! cdh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.